Adding WiFi router to existing network

Thread: Adding WiFi router to existing network

Adding WiFi router to existing network

Hi! I need some help please.

I am trying to add a WiFi router to an existing network and cannot get it working correctly.

At the moment the network is as follows: input cable->cable modem->ethernet hub->my laptop. All wired connections. This is a private res installation. For me to connect the settings are: auto detect everything.

Now, the end I normally plug into my computer, I would like to connect to a WiFi router and connect to my PC.

According to what I was able to find, I must disable the DCHP on my router and the connect the cable from the hub to a normal LAN port and not the WAN port. And then connect.

I am able to make a wireless connection to the router up until the point where I disable DCHP and then no more.

Hope I gave all the info that is necessary.

Thanks in advance.

PS : I am using an ICIDU 11G Broadband router

Replace the Hub with the Router. After connecting the network cable from the routers WAN port to the cable modem, power cycle the cable modem. Turn ON DHCP within the router.

That should do it,

Greg

Hi!

Unfortunately replacing the hub is not an option. It is not for me to replace. Also the router would then be too far from where I would like to use it, and the router only has 4 Lan ports where we need 14 connections.

But say I do swap the router and hub, will each be able to have it's own dynamic IP as given by the ISP?

Do not use the wireless device as a router. Just plug it into the hub using one of the switch ports not the WAN port, shut off DHCP. You now have an additional 3 wired ports as well as wireless access.
    CWNA, CWSP, K0PBX

Why should I not use it as a router? I have managed to get everything working connecting my router via the WAN port and DHCP enabled. Just for interest sake. Thanks

Unless you want to add another isolated subnet then it does not make sense to add the routing ability of the device. You are just going to use the AP abilities for wireless connections.
    CWNA, CWSP, K0PBX

Thanks for all the answers. Just two more.

How many wireless computers can connect to my router? Both as a router and with DHCP disabled.

Why would I want to clone a MAC adress on the router?

The use of the wireless router will not affect the number of wireless clients that the router services. You have to define what is acceptable bandwidth per client then divide that into the actual throughput of the wireless router. Reason being is that if you have some clients using major download or streaming applications, you will be able to support fewer clients than if those clients are just checking email.

Sometimes the MAC addr of the router's external interface needs to be spoofed to replace a device that had its external interface MAC addr registered with the ISP. The other option is to call the ISP and re-register the MAC addr of the replacement device. I am not sure if that is what you are asking about, but that is one reason.
    CWNA, CWSP, K0PBX