Playstation 3 getting terribly slow dowload speeds on my wireless network
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Playstation 3 getting terribly slow dowload speeds on my wireless network

Playstation 3 getting terribly slow dowload speeds on my wireless network

Here's my equipment:

Linksys WRT54g v.1.1 using latest Linksys firmware
    WPA security

On my wireless network I have:
    A laptop
    Xbox 360
    Playstation 3 sitting about a foot away from the 360

I'm on a regional cable provider and I get 3MB down/512k upload.

I've had the PS3 for one week and I'm getting unacceptable download speeds over wireless.

As an example, I downloaded a 5GB movie to my Xbox 360 over my network and it took about 4 hours. It took about 4 hours to download a 500MB to my PS3. It takes about 45 minutes to an hour to download a 100mb file on the PS3 wheres it takes about 6-8 minutes to download a file that size on my laptop or Xbox 360.

Its not even worth trying to download anything on the PS3 because of the slow speeds.

At first, I thought it was just a problem with Sony's servers, but I ran an ethernet wire down 2 flights of stairs and 75 feet from my wireless router to the PS3 and the speeds increased DRAMATICALLY.

I went back to wireless and it started chugging slowly again.

I called Sony to tell them that I think I had a faulty wifi card in the system and they blamed it on my network, even though my laptop and Xbox 360 are on the same network and don't have near as bad download speeds.

My signal strength on the PS3 was around 70-75% at the time I called Sony and they told me that the signal wasn't strong enough to get fast speeds. I re-situated my router and now i'm getting 90-95% signal strength and it didn't help one bit.

I'm at my wits end here because I've tried everything to get the speeds to increase on the PS3. I disabled my wireless security and it didn't help. I changed my security from WPA to WEP and it didn't help. I set my PS3 up with a static IP in the router's setup and opened up all the necessary ports and enabled the DMZ on the PS3 and it didn't help.

I still think its a bad wifi card, but Sony is not buying it. I'd like some other opinions before I call them back and get angry.

You've taken good troubleshooting steps and it appears to be a problem with the built-in wireless adapter in the PS3. Being two floors down from the wireless router is not the best setup for moving large amounts of data although the 360 is sitting next to it and it downloads fine? Can you move the PS3 closer to the router?

I think the 360 uses an external usb WiFi adapter instead of internal on the PS3 so here's something else to try...

Buy a access point from a place where you can return it if this doesn't work. Configure the AP to operate in client mode with a wireless connection to your wireless router. Disable security (better throughput or download speeds). Connect a network cable from the AP to your PS3 and try it again.

Greg

Thanks for the suggestion. I may try going the AP route tomorrow, although I have never actually done what you are suggesting. I've read about APs being set up as clients and then wired to other devices, but I have no hands-on experience doing it. I hope its not too complicated. I'm not a wifi noob, more like an intermediate level of expertise, but I may have trouble with doing this.

When you say to 'disable' security, are you talking about security from the AP to my devices? Or are you talking about security from my wrt54g over my whole network? I'm not real comfortable disabling my WPA security on my network right now. There are a lot of leeches in my neighborhood.

It's not complicated...

If there are too many leeches, you can run the test with security enabled on your router. Downloads may run a bit faster without security for testing.

Greg

Also, make sure you disable the built-in wireless on the PS3 before trying the AP test.

Greg

Well, I tried the AP route today and had no luck. The downloads were still incredibly slow.

Last night, Sony put out the new version 1.3 firmware update for the PS3 and you're mandated to download it if you want access to the playstation store or to play online.

My connection kept timing out last night and wouldn't even connect to download the firmware update.

I decided to try again this morning and it still kept timing out.

I really needed this update, so I decided to run a wire again from my router to the PS3 and . the downloads were unbelievably slow on the wired connection... unlike the other day when they were relatively fast (but not all that fast as it should have been). I tried all day to download various things and it was back to the old 3-4 hour download time for a 500MB file, and 45 minutes for a 100MB file ... even on the wired connection.

I just don't know what else to do. My theory about the faulty wifi card just went out the window since the speeds were bad today on the wired connection. I did some more troubleshooting today, thinking that Sony's servers may not be working right with my router, so I unhooked the router and ran a straight wire from my cable modem to the PS3 and the speeds were about the same.. unbelievably slow.

I'm out of ideas. The only possibilities left are that Sony's servers are just not working well with my ISP - and good luck to me trying to get my ISP or Sony to do anything about that.... or it could be compatibility issues with my cable modem - that's a very outside possibility. I'm using a Motorola Surboard SB 5100.

I have no idea where to even go or what to do from here.

You've already confirmed where the problem is. Because the PS3 is new, they're probably still working the bugs out.

Greg

Well I just haven't been able to let it go, so I've done some other troubleshooting on a daily basis. I went back to plugging a wire from my router in the PS3 every day and noticed the downloads were starting to get much faster, but when I'd go back to wireless, they would slow down to a crawl again.

I even went out and purchased a new router. I bought a D-Link DIR-635 and was getting a solid 100% signal strength at all times, but it didn't help one bit.

I then took my Linksys wrt54g and flashed it with the custom dd-wrt firmware and set the router up as a wireless bridge, put the router next to my PS3 and plugged into the back of the ethernet port of my PS3.

And what do you know... fast downloads consistently.. all the time.

What I've basically done is fool the PS3 into taking my wireless signal through the ethernet port instead of through the wifi card and now it works great.

There is no doubt in my mind that either the wi-fi card is bad, or there is a problem or a setting in the wifi card that is stopping it from downloading. Unfortunately, the PS3 doesn't give you any access to any settings on its internal wifi card, other than the basic setup configuration.

Sony will not do anything about it. I called again last Saturday and told them everything I had done and they blamed it on : My ISP, My Cable Modem, Radio Interference, and George W. Bush. I talked to a customer support supervisor and told him I wanted my system swapped out and he refused to do it. He said to give them a couple of months to work out the problems with their network.

But.. the problem isn't their network.. at least not for me. I'm now downloading just fine as long as I don't try to use the internal wi-fi card on the system.

Good for you. Persistence will pay off. You converted the router into a access point client. That is used quite often when the device does not have a wireless adapter. In fact there are wireless game adapters just for that purpose. You may know all that already, though.

Hope you hang around as we are starting to get more and more threads about gaming devices and wireless.
    CWNA, CWSP, K0PBX

Hi .. i have the exact same problem whenever i try to connect using my wireless connection .. my signal strength is around 95% but i still have a slow download speed.. when i using wired the speed increased dramatically .. so i think either built in wireless ps3 is a crap or still buggy ..

I too am having the same problem. My cousin says he solved the issue by simply connecting an ethernet wire to the back of the PS3. He's had no trouble since. But the whole idea of this thing being so doggone expensive are the amenities that supposedly come with it! Because of the way my home is configured I have to connect to a different (smaller) tv in a different room in the house if I wanna play on line because thats where all of the computer equipment resides.

I too am having the same problem. My downloads are horrible from the PS3 store. It took me almost an hour just to download the 1.8 patch. But have no problems using the ethernet cable. Which isn't really an option as my router is upstairs and my PS3 is in my basement.

I'm not that technical so please bear with me.

Could I buy another router and hard wire the ps3 to that router with an ethernet cable. Could I then set up the second wireless router to receive a wifi feed from my current router upstairs?

I know that you guys probably don't want to give a step by step how to but I sure would appreciate it!!!

SAME PSIII ISSUE | It's got to be PSIII network

I Have 100% the same issue and other Wireless devices work fine.
    The PSIII WiFi is at 100% but still have lots of time outs.
    I live in the country with no neighbors... I have a LAPTOP, PC and wireless PDA that work with no issues and Download fast with no connection issues..
    The PSIII is SLOW and now that I have tested with an Rj45 ... it too is slow..
    I'm thinking the issue is with the PSIII network and not our home setup.
    Next step is to bring the PSIII to a friends house and test it ... if its also on anothern ISP then it's PSIII network.

Same exact issue since its release! I haven't cared because all the demos come out on my 360 two-weeks earlier, but I go to complete some system updates and I finally got sick of seeing games I downloaded three weeks ago still at 39% complete...Pissed off does not describe the feeling...

I had the same issues with Sony customer service and I've searched the internet for a community to share my pain...Oh yeah, did I mention I have my PS3 hooked up to the router? Since day one its been like this...

Bill,

I'm having a similar problem. I have DSL service and a pretty quick connection for both my laptop and PS3. When i switched ISPs my speeds increased for my laptop, but my PS tops out at around 20k. Could you provide a more detailed description of what you did with your router, unfortunately, i am a wi-fi noob.