Connecting a sat receiver to home network

Thread: Connecting a sat receiver to home network

Connecting a sat receiver to home network

Good evening,

here is the deal..
    My home network is wireless and based on 3COM's 11g wireless modem router annex B.
    I have recently bought a dreambox sattelite receiver which can connect to the internet through an ethernet port.
    Because the receiver is located too far away from the router I can not connect it using a UTP cable so I bought 3COM's wireless Access Point and thought of doing this:

Connect the Access Point's ethernet port to my sat receiver's ethernet port and configure my Access Point to connect to the modem router and share the internet connection.

Is something like this possible and if yes, are there any specific adjustments I have to make to the AP ??

Thank you very much!!

You need to set your APs up for bridging mode. If the option is available use workgroup bridging mode. This will allow wireless clients to remain connected to your modem router. You should not need to change the configuration on your modem router to make this work. If your router doesn't support workgroup bridging then you will need to configure both of the APs and you will not be able to have any wireless clients.

I will offer a different viewpoint. I only read about one AP, so I will assume that you are trying to setup a connection between it and the wireless router. That will be possible if the AP can be placed into a condition that is normally called access point client.
    CWNA, CWSP, K0PBX

Quote Originally Posted by M/Q
    I will offer a different viewpoint. I only read about one AP, so I will assume that you are trying to setup a connection between it and the wireless router. That will be possible if the AP can be placed into a condition that is normally called access point client.
    Can you please tell me how to set my AP as an access point client?

Plus, I have read the manual of the AP and it says that I must connect its ethernet port to a switch or hub. I want to connect it directly to my sat receiver's ethernet port. The only difference is that I must use a crossover UTP cable? Or are there any other adjustments I have to make?

As long as whatever you plug it into is an ethernet device you should be fine. A switch or hub is not necessary. It is very likely you will have to use a crossover cable. I am not familiar at all with your brand access point. I can't help you there. I will glance at their website and see if I can help some more.

According to their site your AP will do exactly what you want to do in Client mode liek M/Q was referring to. They seem to not have a lot of configuration guides available for download.

http://www.3com.com/products/en_US/...thtype=purchase