WRT54G- Best Firmware?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: WRT54G- Best Firmware?

Exclamation WRT54G- Best Firmware?

I would like to know the best firmware to use on the WRT54G. I know DD-WRT is pretty good, but are there any other good ones?

Basically what I want to be able to do:

increase/decrease power
    select the left or right antenna (this is not very important, it'd just be nice)
    force it to ask as a wireless bridge
    offer QoS bandwidth allocation to users. (if you can, provide me with further information on this).

if DD-WRT can do all of those things, I'll probably go with it.

Also, I've heard that you can pretty much destroy your router if you don't install DD-WRT properly.

DD-WRT will do all of the things you ask. I would strongly suggest using the WRT54GL though as it is built to allow the use of third party software. The WRT54G has reduced memory and you have to go through several steps to get to the same firmware version. AKA easier to brick.

It is true you can brick a router if you do it wrong, but we can walk you through all of the details and I am in the process of creating a sticky that will outline most of the details.

This link has all of the details, but it is slightly confusing to the uninitiated.

http://www.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/Index:Install

Hmmm, well, I do not currently have a GL....

Basically for now, the only use I'd have for it is to increase power and experiment around with the other options.

in the futuer, if I should ever need 2 wireless bridges (with the rootenna setup, or something similar) I would be sure to purchase the GL, however.

Anyway, what exactly is entailed in the bandwidth management? Can you specify that maybe 1 user gets 200K of an internet connection, another gets 500K, and you take the remaining 800K yourself (assuming it was a 1.5 meg connection)?

Oops, I might have overstated, I do not think that DD-WRT has that capability. Check out the WiKi for DD-WRT. I may have missed it, as I had thought I read something about that at one time.

It is not a concern of mine as I use other options for that as the perimeter router typically does not have enough horsepower to handle that along with all of the other processes.

What sort of device would be needed to allocate a certain amount of bandwidth to certain clients? Or would this be more software based?

thanks again M/Q.

Now, how exactly would you bridge two wireless routers? (Or bridge to...erm..bridges).

Check out that DD-WRT WiKi site it has a great deal of information about the OS and its capabilities.

http://www.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/Wireless_Bridge

thanks for that link, most of the other information I was coming across was a bit unorganized, and thus, confusing.

I'm hoping that I won't have to ever set up a wireless bridge (long range, that is), but in the even that I would need to, now I know how.

Also, is there any possible way to fix a "bricked" router? I read that you can recover from a "bad flash", but I'm not 100% sure this is the same thing.

It usually is considered the same thing and here is a link to a site that has a few things to try to get back from a bad flash. I have done this many times and this is not resident to just DD-WRT. Any time you upgrade the firmware on any device, there is the potential for bricking it. This is why I always have the device connected to a UPS/battery backup.

http://www.linksysinfo.org/portal/fo...ad.php?t=47259

ok, I'll keep that in mind. I may/may not upgrade my current router to DD-WRT. Afterall, the signal coverage is excellent as it is (and it's in the basement). If I place i upstairs, it spills out and covers all 2 acres of the property.

I have a UPS so I'll hook it up to that when flashing it. Thanks, once again.

sorry for the double-post.

well, what is the special process for installing DD-WRT for a normal WRT54G router?

here's the information about my router: WRT54G v2.2

You would have to install the micro version first as that particular router only has 2MB of memory on board.

ok, I've download DD-WRT v23 SP2.

What must I do next? I have tried to open the .bin file, but I'm not sure what program to open it with. (or do I load this onto the router?).

Did you download the zip file dd-wrt.v23_sp2_mini.zip? Unzip the file and then you have the choice of using dd-wrt.v23_mini_generic.bin or dd-wrt.v23_mini_wrt54g.bin.

1) Download firmware
    Download the latest stable release [1] (http://www.dd-wrt.com/)
    Read the changelog and all other information files on the download pages. They contain important information!
    Note: Use the mini version when upgrading from original Linksys firmware!
    If you downloaded a .zip file, then extract the archive.
    Confirm good download by comparing the MD5 hash fingerprint of the firmware you downloaded with published Hashes.
    2a) Reset to Factory Defaults through the Web GUI
    If you forgot the password or IP of your router, proceed to step 2b.
    Log into the Web GUI of the router. Type in the address of the router (default 192.168.1.1) into the address bar of your browser.
    You will be prompted for username and password. Username is not required (for versions >= 2006-Feb-28, username is root). Enter password (default password is admin) and you should be at the Web Interface of your router.
    Click the "Administration" tab.
    Click the "Factory Defaults" sub-tab.
    Select "Yes".
    Click the "Save Settings" button.
    A new page will open, click "continue".
    2b) Reset to Factory Defaults Using the Reset Button
    Press and hold the reset button on the back of the router for 30 seconds. This will clear your NVRAM, the configuration and reset the username/password pair to root/admin.
    Be careful when using this method! Apparently if you have OpenWRT already on your router the reset button may not function as it is assumed here and may actually brick your router! Research the functionality of your current firmware to be safe.
    3) Send in the Firmware!
    It is VERY important that you do not interrupt the setup while the router is being flashed/rebooted. Do not turn off the computer, close the web browser, or turn off the router during this process!!!!! I usually just take a step back, and turn my head away so I don't breathe on it for these crucial 2 minutes.
    Use Internet Explorer as the Linksys firmware has many incompatibilities with Mozilla Firefox, in particular in the firmware upgrade section (although this is *REALLY* hard to do if you are a Linux user, and can't convince Microsoft to make a version of internet exploder for you).
    Again, you should be in the Web GUI of the router. Go there now.
    Click the "Administration" tab
    Click the "Firmware Upgrade" sub-tab.
    Click the "No reset" radio button (works for me, but please double check if "Firmware Defaults" would be better!).
    Click the "Browse" button and select the DD-WRT .bin file you extracted in step 1.
    Click the "Upgrade" button.
    The router will take a few minutes to upload the file, flash the firmware, and then reset.
    A new page will open, wait about 5 minutes before clicking "Continue".
    If flashed successfully you will now be at the DD-WRT web interface.
    4) Reset to factory defaults AGAIN
    Repeat step 2a or 2b above. Note: Step 2b (the manual way of clearing the NVRAM) is recommended to make sure the radio gets the correct parameters.
    For V23 SP2: If certain features don't work please do a hard reset. Hard Reset: By plugging in the router and holding down the reset button for 30 seconds all at the same time. Do not use config files from older firmware versions. You must start from the beginning.
    5) Enjoy
    It is strongly advised that you enable the "Boot Wait" option under the "Administration" tab. This will help you recover in the future should you flash your router improperly. If you use v23 or higher the "Boot Wait" option is enabled by default.

http://www.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php...g_with_Web_GUI