How to hide wireless signal?

Thread: How to hide wireless signal?

How to hide wireless signal?

Hi, I was wondering if its possible to hide my wireless signal from my router. I noticed an option in the admin config for my linksys router about "SSID not broadcast" and I checked that but all it seems to accomplish is not send out my router network's name; people can still see that it exists. How do I make it so the router does not broadcast a signal so that a computer can only connect to it if it knows the actual name of the network.

I just want it so that people wouldn't know that it even exists (without physically seeing it or me telling them)

Thanks for your help.

What you are asking is virtually impossible. But that statement has to be predicated on the skill set of the person you are referring to. If you disable the SSID broadcast many people will not know that there is a wireless network there. But, there are other people who will know that there is a wireless network there regardless of the broadcast being disabled. All that is required to determine that is a packet sniffer.

Bottom line is that since it is RF and not contained by wires or any any other means for that matter, it is available for someone to receive. It just depends on whether that person has the right equipment and skillset to do anything with it.

what I mean though is that people can still detect my wireless network even though SSID broadcast is disabled even WITHOUT a packet sniffer. All they need is a network card and it shows up in the "available wireless networks" dialog just with no name.

OK, I pretty much told you that. I fail to see what your point is. Sorry.

As M/Q has stated, this is a radio wave travelling through space (not outer, of course). Thus, there's no way to make it invisible to anyone. You just have to deal with it.

Still, if you use WPA2-AES encryption, you will probalby never have to worry about anything being spied on by wardrivers and the like. Once they see that it's WPA2-AES, they'll forget about it.

to me, broadcasting the SSID or not is totally opinion oriented; some say it makes your your network more secure (yeah by what? +0.000000000000001%?), and others say it doesn't really matter, as long as you're encrypted. I personally broadcast my SSID, just because I like to do that.