VPN not working with wireless access point

Thread: VPN not working with wireless access point

Exclamation VPN not working with wireless access point

hi, ive googled and searched these forums for help on this but cant find anything.

im using a cisco vpn client adapter and it works fine when i connect my laptop directly to the adsl modem/router (dlink 302g) but when im wirelessly connected to it (via a zyxel zyair g-1000 wireless access point - i checked the manual and it does support vpn pass-through) it cant connect, it just gets stuck on 'initializing the ipsec link..." and then says the vpn sub-system is not available, which sometimes suggests a firewall problem, so i tried switching off the firewall but it doesnt seem to make any difference.

any suggestions? many thanks!

If you go to a command prompt when you are connected to the DSL gateway could you publish the results of the ipconfig /all command. Then do the same thing when you are connected to the access point.

ip addresses

thanks for your post, ill check when i get home

they both have dhcp enabled. the dsl is 10.1.1.1, the WAP is 10.1.1.11 ... on the same subnet mask

They both have the DHCP server enabled?? That maybe part of the problem.

yep they do. so you think maybe i should give the dsl a fixed IP?

It would be best to do what I suggested in my first post to use the ipconfig /all command on your computer when connected directly and then when connected via the wireless device. That will tell us what address is being supplied to the computer, when it works and when it doesn't.

ipconfig details

hi, sorry about the delay, had to wait til i got home to try it.

its not an issue now anyway ... got a new laptop and it works fine, all thats changed is ive got a newer version of vpn client adapter ... i guess it couldve been a legacy driver on the pcmcia wireless card on the old laptop ...