Can I trace a residential wifi signal to the source home address

Thread: Can I trace a residential wifi signal to the source home address

Question Can I trace a residential wifi signal to the source home address

Hi.

I am able to recieve a wifi signal but I'm not sure where it's originating from.

I would like to use it if it's a city signal but I'm afraid to jump on if it's someones home wifi.

Is there a way I can trace the signal and find out where it's broadcasting from?

How close can i get to the source?

I would like to know the actual street address if possible, but any info on how to trace the signal's origin would be a great help.

Thanks.

The find tool on Airmagnet will walk you right up to the AP itself...but it is not cheap. Other than that I know of no way else...

The simplest approach is to have a wireless device that can use a direction. With that and an application like NetStumbler you will be able to slowly locate where the source is by pointing the antenna in the direction where you get the best signal strength. Then move a set distance perpendicular to that direction and then do the same thing. You will get an idea by using a crude form of triangulation.

Thank you for the replies.

I'm trying the demo (free) version of Airmagnet. Maybe that will let me use the 'find' feature.

Peace!

Just realize that if the device that has AirMagnet installed on it does not have a directional antenna you will not really gain anything. This is all about finding the shortest distance to the signal source.

Thumbs down As we were saying! (Planet's Post)!

Guys! Guys!

This is exactly what Planet was eluding to and was discussed in an earlier post about Newbies. All he/she wants to do is connect to it. He/she did not give us any information to go by; e.g:

1: Is the SSID available?; What is it?
    2: Is it open? (No security, we can assume it is!!)
    3: Why is the actual street address important?
    4: He/she wants to jump on if it's the City's! (Translation: Free?).

No disrespect to anyone, but I did not get a technical question in that post. If one wants to use a free source, there's no discussing Airmagnet.

Some caution must be exercised since info passed here can be of a technical nature. Am I taking this stuff way too serious?

Sorry, but I felt compelled to post in this fashion; since Planet's post on Newbies is still among the new threads.

Don

I suspect you may want to read the OP again. He wanted to find the source of the RF signal. Both Spider and I gave him options of doing just that. I understand why as they do not want to illegally use someone's network. Which is kudos to them.

use a small pda with mini-stumbler and go for a walk....
    Or a laptop in a car with an external antenna

easy !