sending packets but not receiving

Thread: sending packets but not receiving

sending packets but not receiving

after I enabled my wep on my router, I can't get an internet connection on my laptop
    the laptop is configured with a static IP , it connects to the network without a problem. It sends but isn't receiving any packets
    the laptop is a xp pro with sp2 (firewall disabled) ( (windows zero configuration enabled) in the network are 2 pc's and 2 laptops working fine, but for some reason the laptop won't work
    the pcmcia card is a cisco 350 the router a belkin,

nobody a solution for this ?

I would suggest reading the sticky about WLAN connections at the beginning of this section. I also would disable WEP first to get the connection working first. How do you know that you are connecting to the network? Can you see shared folders on the other computers? Can you pinng other computers or the router? Can you ping an outside source by its Fully Qualified Domain Name or its IP address?

I also would use the ipconfig /all command mentioned in the sticky to see if the information other than the IP addr is identical to that of the computers which are not having this problem.

the connection works fine with WEP disabled
    if i could see shares i would receive packetjes and there was no problem
    I know i"m connected beceause windows tells me so and the wep key is correct
    ipconfig /all is correct
    i think it's something with sp2

If everything works correctly with WEP disabled, then possibly your problem is that the client and router are from different vendors or they have a firmware incompatibility. Thus are not converting ASCII passphrases into Hex code identically. This is a very common problem. I might suggest entering the identical Hex key into both device's configuration and see what happens.

that's correct they are from different vendors,
    but i'm already using hex code for the wep
    can the firmware of the pcmcia be the problem ? or maybe the sp2 ??
    somekind of patch availble ?

Hello,
    Many times when using WEP with WZC on SP2, windows may say that it is connected, but that doesn't mean that it truly is. A clear sign that you are not "connected" is that you can send data, and no data is received. You are not really associated with the AP. You might want to check on your client side that the Enable 802.1X authentication, is NOT checked under the authentication tab. Also confirm that your authentication type is Open and not Shared. Other than that, the only other problem could be that the WEP keys do not match.
    Thanks.

I've checked it again and everything is correct.
    problem consists after stopping the WZC
    i've updated the firmware on the cisco 350 card but still no change
    if it is a compatibility problem like M/Q said how can i solve this ?

Sound like you have everything configured correctly. Do you have a friend that has a different wireless card? See if a different card will work.... If not, then there must be a problem with the router. I have not used the cisco 350, but I know that some cards come with their own utility for wireless configuration. Many times the utility will conflict with WZC. With many Linksys cards, I will uninstall all the drivers and utility and then re-install the card with only the drivers and no utility. That usually fixes the problem. Not sure if this cisco card has the same stuff though.

I just wanted to second Rigby, I am not a big fan of Cisco. Especially their cards as they are not what I would call user friendly. They seem to only play nice with Cisco equipment. I know Spider will jump all over me for this. Sorry

i work on this router with 4 pc's and 3 laptops everyone of them is working fine except the laptops where I use the cisco 350 cards (2x) (one xp pro sp2, one ubuntu) so I think the problem is with the card. I've read a thing about certain firmware versions that had problems with wep but flashing new firmware doesn't seem a solution
    I haven't tried a different card
    i've disabled wep now and everything is working fine again (as expected)

The 350 is an old card, and just last week I had an extreme amount of trouble getting encryption to work. They are a typical Cisco device, in that they like to work with their own equipment. I replaced the card with a much cheaper SOHO one and got WPA working and everyone was happy including me.