airstation wzr rs g54H dynamic dns
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: airstation wzr rs g54H dynamic dns

airstation wzr rs g54H dynamic dns

hi,
    have been trying to use dynamic dns on buffalo airstation wzr rs g54H. But it doesn't work since this buffalo router is behind a modem- router. in fact it only sees the local IP adresse that the modem router forwards (192.168.0.X). buffalo japan support told me that the only way dynamic dns works is to make it see the global IP. So, kowing that I can't transform my modem into bridge mode (or forward global IP), do you know how to make the dynamic dns function work kwowing only the local IP?
    I think that buffalo sation is using ports to send dynamic dsn pakets trhougt the net. thus, with openning theses ports on the modem- router it should be ok.
    But buffalo japan support seem to agree.
    I would like to know your point of view.
    yann

If I understand this correctly, you've got a second router connected to another router and dyndns does not work on the second router?

If that's the case, Buffalo Japan was correct. Dynamic DNS would not work on the second router because it can't see the WAN IP changing from the 1st router.

What exactly would you like to accomplish and we can suggest a work around.

Greg

Just to supplement Greg who is spot on. You will only get this to work if the Internet perimeter device/router has the ability to port forward. Also what is the IP addr of the internal network adapter on that device? I am reasonably sure that this device will port forward. Most routers have that ability. What is the brand/model name?

thank you for your answers.
    here is my configuration:
    internet ---> dynamic global IPadresse<---->modem-router(nec aterm wd701CV)<---->modem-router LAN local IP adresse(192.168.0.1)<---->buffalo router WAN local IP adresse(192.168.0.2)<---->buffalo router<---->buffalo router LAN local IP adresse (192.168.12.1)----->PCs

I hope this is clair enough. I phoned to NEC to ask if the modem router can forward the glogal IP adresse to the wan local IP adresse of the buffalo router but they said no. I don't really trust them and I don't know how to do that.
    I thought that i could port forward the dynamic DNS ports on the modem router, but I don't know what ports buffalo station uses.

I am sorry, but I tried to follow up on the NEC modem, but the only sites I was able to bring up were in Chinese and non-translatable. That is somewhat unusual, but I have no specific answer other than you have to believe what the NEC tech told you. So if you are unable to port forward then dynamic DNS is really not helping our situation at all.

i just thougt, since the dynamic dsn function of the buffalo router is a client, port forwarding doesn't make sense. port forwarding only makes sense for servers...

I live in japan. this nec modem may only be realesed in japan....

the only thing i can do, is finding a way to make the wan ip adresse of the buffalo global one and not local. i already tryed to use my modem router as bridge but it didn't work. in fact, In bridge mode, it connects to internet in PPPoE mode and I have to enter connection login and password in the PPPoE client. this client should be buffalo station. i tryed to configure it in PPPoE mode but it didn' work. Chap (?) connection failed. do you know how to configure PPPoE mode of buffalo?

Your first point about dynamic DNS is valid, but that is what you want to do. The only reason to have dynamic DNS in place is to let the rest of the Internet know your external IP addr. And I assume in your case, you are unable to get a static external IP addr, hence the need for dynamic DNS as your external IP addr changes in time and then external access would not know where to point the traffic. Such as you are running a web server or some application that you need traffic from the Internet to get to. Exactly what are you trying to advertise to the Internet?

Dynamic DNS only works with external and routable IP addrs, and your buffalo device does not have an external IP addr. So that is not an option. But I am confused as you seem to have two unrelated problems. First Dynamic DNS should work fine if it is related to your external IP addr on the NEC modem. Everyone on the Internet will be able to associate a FQDN (Fully Qualified Domain Name) with an IP addr, that is what the Dynamic DNS service does. It knows when your external IP addr changes and then it associates the new IP addr with the correct FQDN.

Your real problem appears to be that you can not port forward through the NEC modem to the Buffalo. I still am not convinced that the NEC will not port forward. It might be that the ISP does not want that happening. Check your EULA with the ISP and see if they do not allow website hosting. If that is the case then you will not be able to get this to work. Have you been able to get to the configuration screen on the NEC?

I am using NOIP client update on my PC and it worls well, so my ISP allows it. the NEC modem router allows port forwarding because I did it fot my FTP server.
    1.what I don't get is why noip client works on my PC behind a lan IP in the same network and buffalo dynamic dns client (dydns) doesn't work in the same conditions.
    2.what i just don't know, is how to make the buffalo knows the global IP. it only sees the IP the modem-router assign it (192.168.0.2). I think that I have to do this because it says that it can uses dynamic dns since its wan dresse is local and not global

I can get to the configuration screen of the NEC.

May sound like a silly question, but do you have a third party dynamic DNS agreement with an official supplier? Just because you have the router with that capability, does not mean it will work. you need that Internet resource to to act as your DNS server to the rest of the Internet.

i subscribed on dyndns.com is it is what you mean.
    I re-tryed to use the bridge mode of my modem but i can't even connect to internet (login & pasword not valid).
    I tryed every thing I knew. the only thing left is changin ISP...

I will try again, I believe your DNS is working correctly, have you gone to another Internet accessible computer and pinged the FQDN for your external IP addr? Did it resolve correctly to the IP addr? Did you try an nslookup to see if the FQDN was resolved? I suspect that works correctly as well.

And if you get FTP and your NOIP to be port forwarded through the cable modem and router that process is working correctly. In order for that to work did you setup port forward on port 8245? Correct me if I am wrong but isn't that the port DynDNS uses? So you then have that pointed at a computer, have you tried port forwarding that specific port to the Buffalo router and it should be a static IP addr.

I didn't try to access my network to an other internet access, since buffalo router doesn't want to be configured without a global IP.
    for the FTP server I only port forwarded the 21 port.
    i ll try to use port 8245.

Please make sure that is the the right port, and that you forward it to the Buffalo router. I am not 100% sure of that port number.

i forwarded this port but it doesn't work. And I can't find on internet which port is dyndns one. but, my buffalo "dyndns compatibility" is a client and not a server (as far as I know); so, I don't think that the solution is port forwarding...

I understand it is a client of the DynDNS, port forwarding is the only way you are going to get that specific client to talk to the DNS server, it is that simple.

Check out this link.

http://www.dyndns.com/support/kb/arc...my_server.html