limited or no connectivity

Thread: limited or no connectivity

limited or no connectivity

i am not sure if it is the router or my pc's. I have been been using a netgear router/modem with no problems. just recently i have been getting a "limited or no connectivity" message. I have full signal strength and speed is full. I can use the computer if I go wired from the router. This started with my laptop first, and my desktop did the same thing a couple days later. I have tried to google this and tried the microsoft patches, WinSockXPfix, a lot of different things, IPconfig..., resetting my router. Apparently this happened a couple of months ago while I was away and my wife called the cable company to come fix it. She said he was only here a couple minutes and fixed the problem, but does not remember what he did. I really dont want to wait a few more days to call the cable company back. any suggestions. I am running SP2 XP which a lot of people said was the problem, but the patch shuld have corrected this. Thanks

Just a few questions to make sure we understand the situation. Are you saying that everything works correctly when you are connected via a Ethernet cable with both computers? Also the wireless connection does not work on both computers as well? Could you describe what you told the cable person the problem was? Are you saying that the wireless access stopped working right after the cable person was there? Did the wireless portion start having problems sometime after?

I guess all the questions are required as I am not seeing a relationship between the cable issue and the wireless issue. Have you checked ipconfig /all on a computer in the wired mode as well as wireless mode and seen any differences? Could you publish both of those logs here?

While in the wireless mode on a computer try these following tests and let us know what the results are.

..1 Open command prompt and ping 127.0.0.1
    ....If works then your IP stack is considered initialized
    ....If failed then stack failure and TCP/IP needs to be re-installed
    ..2 Open command prompt and ping IP address of local host
    ....If works the NIC is working
    ....If failed then hardware/driver problem with NIC
    ..3 Open command prompt and ping the default gateway
    ....If works then then can communicate with local network
    ....If fails then have local network problem any where from host to router
    ..4 Open command prompt and ping remote node
    ....If works then you know network path is working as well as all protocols
    ....If fails then remote node's network has an issue.
    ..5 If steps 1-4 work then it most likely is a DNS issue

If I was guessing, I would be suspicious of the wireless portion of the router since you are having the same issue with multiple computers. One other thought is to ask if you have recently added third party firewall or security suite applications to the computers? As that could have an affect as well.

Also IMO Service Pack 2 has been wrongly accused of many issues and I personally feel it is very important to have it installed.

Ill have triep IP/ config on the wireless, but not wired. I will try that now. No third party firewall, nothing has been added. I guess when the cable guy came the first time, he was here for a few minutes, and got it working. It worked for about a week after he was here. The strange thing is is that when the laptop started having this problem a couple days ago, the desktop still worked through wireless. Then two days after that, the desktop stopped working. I am sure they were a couple of days apart. I figured my wife just messed with something the first time, but I know nothing has been added, nothing had been done differently. I will try and see what I can come up with.

I figured I would throw an update in here. I have officially stumped the cable company and the tech guys there. If it wasnt for another tech guy coming to my house, they would have never believed me over the phone. I guess they thought I was making stuff up. With a new modem/router and even a new network card in the laptop, I was having the same problem. Of course I could still connect with an ethernet cable to either pc. I was getting full signal strength (I was in the same room) just unable to connect. I figured the problem was with windows or a program i had installed on both pc's, but I reformatted the hard drive on the laptop and put nothing but the essentials back on. As I stated before, there was a lot of times I could connect wirelessly.

We found a temporary solution which involves turning off the encryption key and the turning in back on. No I can connect wirelessly on both pc's, but the laptop says I am disconnected, the desktop says connected. Why is this and why does turning off and back on the encryption key work?

I was also wondering since I live in an apartment complex and there are about 7 or so networks in range that it could be causing a problem?

If anyone is able to help, let me know. In the mean time I will be keeping my encryption key page handy.

That was a key piece of information. First are you on/near any of the channnels of the other networks? Most likely, as there are only three non-interfering channels on 802.11b/g. If the signals are strong enough it will have a huge affect as the computers maybe trying to associate with one of the other wireless networks.

As this is an apartment situation, you can expect this to get worse. If it was me I would immediately replace all of my wireless 11b/g equipment with 11a/b/g and use 11a. There are many more non-interfering channels available and not many people are using 11a at this time.

Have you tried different channels? But that will only work for so long, and it may not be the whole problem you have but I am almost certain it is a factor.

After re-reading the entire thread, the problem may have been that someone nearby just got a wireless system and it started the problem. Also it might explain that the one computer that had the problem first was closer to the signal source than the other. Also are you sure you are associating with your wireless router? It might be that removing the encryption allows you to associate with one of the other stronger signals? Especially if you have not changed any of the default parameters like SSID.

similar problem

Hi,
    I have a similar problem with my connections. I recently bought a new laptop and was checking the settings on my PC to setup the laptop on my wireless network. I don't think that I had changed any settings, but when I go on my other laptop I will get a limited or no connectivity message sometimes. Other times the active network links shows an excellent connectetion, yet I can not get online or connect to the PC.
    I have tried to ping from the PC and laptop. I have tried to use the windows network wizard to no avail. I even bought a new router (Linksys WRT54G) thinking that my router had gone bad or I had reprogrammed it incorrectly but I am still having the same problems.
    Like I said it was working just fine, this has to be something simple. Is there a way to remove the network connections from the laptop and start from scratch? Can anyone help? I'm stumped...

Does the notebook have a firewall or security suite applications? Disable them for now if it does. Then see what happens. Are you saying the pc has no problems with the router it is just the notebook?

I turned off the firewalls and still have the problem. It's just the notebooks.

Same here.

Exact same problem here. I saw this thread and I registered (my botched nickname) for the sole purpose of acknowledging my new notebook has the same problem. My ping statistics are perfect, but I can't access any of the WLAN networks that show up on my computer. I even got Network Stumbler to help me out, and it does nothing, NOTHING! I need some serious help.

Everytime I've had this error it ended up being an IP address conflict, either with dhcp or static ips. Your situation is weird because even with new hardware, the same problems occured and it may be a hardware/firmware problem with your AP. (i.e. upgrade firmware/software) But here's what I do if I get this problem.

If you are using static IPs, make sure that your client adapter is configured correctly and that its IP settings are in the same network space.

With DHCP, it's necessary to release and renew the client IP address and reassociate back to the AP.

from command prompt:
    ipconfig /release
    ipconfig /renew

Windows XP has a nice "Repair connection", that does the same thing as above, and can be accessed with the information ballon that pops up.

I think the reason your wireless clients worked when you turned WEP on and off was because each time this happened, it was necessary to disassociate and reassociate back to the AP. It forces the client, under DHCP, to aquire a valid IP address. The same can be done by right-clicking on the wireless icon in the system tray and click "Open Network Connections". Find your wireless adapter and right-click "Disable" and then right-click again "Enable".

If all else fails, I'd say it's time for a new router.

Quote Originally Posted by M/Q
    ..2 Open command prompt and ping IP address of local host
    ....If works the NIC is working
    ....If failed then hardware/driver problem with NIC
    however, how do I know the IP address of my NIC, if the DHCP server of the AP has not given it to me? Could you explain this please? Or is there any other way to make sure, that my NIC is working fine(drivers and hardware)?

Sure no problem. If the network adapter is configured to receive its IP address as well as other TCP/IP automatically and is not, the operating system will give the network adapter an address in the 169.254.XX.XX range. This MS link will explain it as well as the testing process I mentioned earlier.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/314067

So, just use that 169.254.XX.XX address to ping itself or assign another one.

Hope that helps.
    CWNA, CWSP, K0PBX

I too have had similar problems. I have just had a wireless router (and wireless internet) installed. Everything worked fine when there was no security. That is The wireless cards (one laptop, two desktop pcs's) could contact the router through either fixed or assigned IP addresses. The desktop closest to the router could be plugged into the router via a rj45 twisted pair cable no problems. I then though I had better set up the security. That was 4 hours ago. since then only the cable plugged into the router will give me internet connectivity. The wireless cards get 100% signal strength but each time I look at the connection status the ip address is issued by DHCP and within the scope, the subnet mask is correct, the default gateway is correct, the DNS server settings are correct but no internet connection. Can anyone shed light on this issue.
    Thanks