Linksys WRE54G range expander - WEP setup

Thread: Linksys WRE54G range expander - WEP setup

Linksys WRE54G range expander - WEP setup

I am currently attempting to add a Linksys WRE54G range extender (v 2.0 with the latest firmware upgrade installed) to my wireless network. My access point is a Linksys WRT54GS v 1.1, also with the latest firmware update installed. The network consists of a PC running XP (via a wired connection), a PC running 2000 (via a wireless connection), an Apple desktop (via an AirPort card) and two TiVo DVRs via wireless connectors.

As per the instructions, I deactivated my wireless network's WEP encryption prior to beginning the setup process. I then successfully completed the initial configuration - i.e., I achieved the expected increase in signal strength and have been able to log into the administration page for both the WRE54G unit and the WRT54GS.

However, when I then attempt to re-activate the WEP encryption on the WRE54G via the wireless PC client, I lose contact with the WRE54G and receive an error message indicating that the request has timed out. It is then necessary to re-set the WRE54G in order to re-establish my wireless connection to the network.

It is my understanding that once the initial setup of the WRE54G has been completed, I should be able to re-activate my WEP encryption by first re-configuring the WEP54G and then reconfiguring my access point. This is apparently not the case. Any suggestions, additional instructions, etc? Thanks!

There is a good chance that setting up WEP needs to be done via an Ethernet cable and not the wireless client. Check the manual.