how to use wireless router to access wireless internet??

Thread: how to use wireless router to access wireless internet??

how to use wireless router to access wireless internet??

here is my problem...
    i have a wireless internet connection on this computer through a wireless card
    the wireless signal is from a router with a direct connection
    i want to get wireless internet on my other computer using another router because i dont want to go out and buy a network card
    is this possible??
    is it possible to use a router to act like a wireless card?? to recieve a signal instead of sending a signal out??

if it doesn't work, then would it possible to use the router to connect to another for internet access??

thanks for any info

You need to clarify your situation before we can help. You say you have a wireless Internet connection. Is that through a WISP or do you have DSL/Cable and just have a wireless system at your location? It makes a difference.

Next does the second computer have a wireless adapter right now? If so why can't it connect to the router you already have. Do you see our confusion?

There are some routers that will do what you ask, but not all of them. You will have to check out the tech spec's to see if it acts as a bridge link. All wireless access points will work as a bridge link.

So, please give a detailed description of your network

well to be exact....
    the router is on a dsl line.
    this computer is using a wireless card and getting the signal.
    the other computer doesn't have wireless card...
    but i do have a 2nd wireless router that is not being used at the moment

wat i want to do is use the 2nd router to connect to the first router for internet
    so basically i'm seeing if its possible to make the 2nd router act as a wireless card, to recieve a internet signal.

sorrie havent replied in a while...christmas week is busy

No problem,

We will have to know the name and brand of the wireless router. As some are capable of doing what you are asking. Most are not. If the device can act as a wireless bridge or wireless client then you are good to go.

this is exactly what i want to do as well

i have a dlink dl-524 wireless router OR a netgear wgr614 wifi router downstairs with direct connection to the net - upstairs iŽd like to have 2 pcs that will be hardwired into a "wifi router" of either model that connects to the wifi downstairs

i can use any combination of those 2 makes - OR i can use other models(combinations) that will do the same

To the best of my knowledge neither of those devices will go into bridge mode. This is a very big problem. As wireless routers are much more prevalent and cheaper to purchase, but they do not have the capabilities that an access point has.

Any brand access point will do exactly what you want to do. If you have multiple client computers all you have to do is get a SOHO hub/switch, place it downstream of the AP and that is it.

so.... i keep the downstairs router and get an access point for upstairs which then connects to a simple hub or switch ?

i assume also that i could use a laptop with wifi (i have a spare usb wifi adapter) to connect to the upstairs ap ?

You kind of have it correct. When you put a wireless device in bridge mode it is just like running an Ethernet cable between the two devices. The access point will only talk to the wireless router. That is why you have to connect the client computers to the access point via a hub.

There are devices called wireless repeaters/extenders that will repeat traffic between the client computer and the wireless router. Kind of like a go between, but they have drawbacks as well. They effectively cut the bandwidth in half and they need a fairly decent signal to work correctly. There are WDS repeaters that are multi-band devices which work pretty good, what they do is repeat on one channel like 802.11a and then act as a access point on 802.11b/g.

I kind of have the same question issue, only, I want to use one of routers I have to give a connection for my Xbox & PS2.

Can I use either of these routers as a bridge?

Lynksys BEFW11S4 Wireless Router
    NetGear MR814 v2 wireless router

"You kind of have it correct"

which part?

"so.... i keep the downstairs router and get an access point for upstairs which then connects to a simple hub or switch ?"

you said basically yes... which i dont think is right but you said it...

i guess the part thats correct is the essence not the facts

so what is it?

since two routers can not speak to eachother wirelessly, I thought you had to hard wire them together.. Even with a hub or switch, your downstairs router would need to be connected to the hub or switch anyway. So, unless you buy a wifi NIC, you will need to run wire. gdlk

adetorry,
    I hope that your reply was not in a sarcastic tone as it came across as such. We are here to help and if you would read what I said in the post preceeding yours, the answer is there.

""When you put a wireless device in bridge mode it is just like running an Ethernet cable between the two devices. The access point will only talk to the wireless router. That is why you have to connect the client computers to the access point via a hub.

There are devices called wireless repeaters/extenders that will repeat traffic between the client computer and the wireless router. Kind of like a go between, but they have drawbacks as well. They effectively cut the bandwidth in half and they need a fairly decent signal to work correctly. There are WDS repeaters that are multi-band devices which work pretty good, what they do is repeat on one channel like 802.11a and then act as a access point on 802.11b/g.""

I was pretty clear as to the two choices you have. I suggest that you do a bit more research on what an access point does, and what a WDS repeating access point can accomplish. And from that information you would realize it was incorrect when you asked about getting a wifi usb adapter for a computer that you have upstairs and connecting to the AP that was upstairs even though it was in bridge mode.

i came here for research

I am not sure what that means, as you mentioned something about essence and not fact.

I would have expected you to continue your research if you will by finding more information on the topics we mentioned. I hate using it and for the most part don't but any search engine would bring up numerous hits that either refute or confirm my statements.

dwl-g520
    di-624

well my wireless card is d-link dwl-g520, and the two routers is d-link di-624
    and after reading all the other replies of other people trying to do the same, i'm guessing i cant use these two routers to communicate between each other.

i guess i need to get an access point or extend my range with a booster or so.

thanks for all the info