VWi-Fi (Video over Wi-Fi)
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: VWi-Fi (Video over Wi-Fi)

VWi-Fi (Video over Wi-Fi)

This is one for the Brainiacs out there. Looking forward to your responses.

Problem:

I am looking for a way to connect my notebook computer to a plasma monitor without having to connect the video lead. Instead, I want to know if I could use the 802.11 a/b/g wireless connection on my notebook and a receiver on the monitor?

Background:

As a financial planner, I do my client presentations displayed on two screens.

In other words I sit at my desk in front of my notebook, and my clients sit opposite me and look up at a large plasma screen which is mounted on the wall on my left.

I have been using this setup for some time and have found a great many clients appreciate the fact that they can see everything easily and clearly because of the large clear bright screen.

Before this I used to share the 17 inch screen on my notebook. As you can imagine, many clients had difficulty seeing what was going on.

Firstly, because the screen was so small and secondly, because it had a very narrow angle of view. Unless you were sitting directly in front of the screen, you really couldn't see the presentation clearly at all.

Fortunately I am largely satisfied with my new arrangements, however there is one element that is not quite to my liking.

Today I have a wireless mouse, a wireless printer, a wireless PDA, a wireless mobile phone, a wireless scanner, a wireless router and modem, a wireless fax and a wireless camera sitting in my office.

When I arrive in the morning I simply place my notebook on the desk, plug in the power lead and turn it on. My notebook then connects to all my devices without me having to physically connect them.

All my devices except one!!! I still have to connect the cumbersome video cable from my notebook to the plasma screen.

I have been asking around for months trying to find a way to connect the plasma screen to my notebook without having to use the video cable. I have tested many usual devices but none work really well.

About a week ago I ran into an electrical engineering professor who I hadn't seen in a while. We got to talking and I started telling him about my problem.

I asked him if it would be possible to send the video signal from my notebook to a plasma screen without the use of a video cable.

To my surprise he said "Yes, I should think that would be possible. You would just need to build a box which connects to the video socket on the monitor so that it could receive the video signal from the notebook and then design a pc card and software for the notebook."

That sounded good but it was not an ideal solution. I asked him if we could use the built-in 802.11 a/b/g wireless connectivity on my notebook instead of designing and building the connectivity through a pc card and software.

He paused and thought about it for a while and then said "Maybe?". But didn't give me a definite answer. He explained that this wasn't really his area of expertise and suggested that I take it up with more appropriate people.

In submitting this post to this forum I hope that someone in your industry can solve my problem. If not then theoretically speaking, can someone tell me whether I could use a wireless connection to carry the video signal from my notebook to a monitor?

Additionally, if any of you may know of an alternative or better way to solve my problem, I would very much appreciate hearing your thoughts.

Thanks very much. Aussie (Brisbane, Australia).

Just using your notebook to convert internal video digital data to Ethernet digital data in a form that would be recognized/transfered to the remote video monitor would require as you mentioned an additional pc board/software. The video monitor would also require an additional pc board/software. And having a notebook makes it difficult to add the required pc board internally. A desktop would be a different story. Also it would require the services of an EE familiar with digital video and Ethernet theory.

It is not exactly what you wanted but it will get rid of the cable between the external monitor and your notebook. Please check out this link.

http://www.42u.com/wireless-kvm-switches.htm

There are other sources as well, I just wanted to provide an example.

You might be able to do this with remote pc software and another computer connected to the plasma screen with remote pc software and a wireless card installed...just install the same software on both computers and remotely run the application from your desk...you will be able to see everything on the remote computer from the computer at your desk..I tried this back in 2000 using older 802.11 wireless 2mb cards in ad-hoc mode using pc anywhere and it worked fine. You should be able to use a cheap computer like maybe a 500mhz for your remote computer that you would connect to the plasma screen. If you have another laptop you can download trial software and try it for your self... This may be a better solution than having someone design something for you.

Yeah, we wanted this set up in one of our conference rooms using a Crestron Unit. The Crestron unit in the podium was capable of having the video to the 2 plasmas and the overhead however the remote or carry around Creston did not have the ability to display the video because it was connecting over WiFi. The company that installed the electronics in the new conference room is very reputable and has been doing this for years and they advised there is no way to transmit that volume of data over a WiFi connection in a efficient way at the moment and we just about had a blank check to upgrade this conference room, point being, if we couldnt get it done then I do not think that it can be done as of today.

It seems that the wifi KVM adapters I linked are able to do just that. Even up to having 8 receivers working off of one sending unit. Check it out.

I think your right M/Q and the Crestron that we used does have KVM inputs. Back to the drawing board I go...

I have been looking and looking for a solution to my problem and i just happened to stumble on this post, which is EXACTLY what i am looking for. SO.. i figured i'd ressurect this thread as it seems it was active only briefly and may have been overlooked. Here is a brief description i put together in order clarify even further..

I would like to transmit the video signal (and possibly audio, although i already have that sorted separately) from a laptop over a wireless network to a projector (or any device with vga/DVI/HDMI connection), with no cables directly attached to said laptop. This would obviously require some sort of video hook driver in place on my laptop to capture the signal and transmit it over 802.11* (preferably N when it is certified) I am quite aware of the existing wireless-enabled projectors, and VNC solutions if i had a pc at the receiving end, but as neither can adequately support full motion video at any resolution, these solutions are not satisfactory. What is the likelihood that i will find a solution for my needs? Any information or referrals are greatly appreciated!

p.s. Ultra VNC has an almost-realtime video hook driver like i mentioned already developed.. could that possibly be modified to better support video? and then maybe use a WRT box with some form of linux to handle the decoding and conversion to vga at the output? i'm just throwing ideas out threre.. i've seen tons of crazy stuff done with linksys boxes..

Like I said the first time this device does what you are asking.

CWNA, CWSP, K0PBX

"The Avocent AutoView Wireless KVM Switch operates by placing a transmitter at the target (source) computer..."

that requires a cable from the source video out to the wireless transmitter.. not what i'm looking for.

as stated, looking for a COMPLETELY wireless solution on the laptop end. thus it must take advantage of the built in 802.11x of the computer and accomplish the task over a router-supported protocol.

this type of device has already been developed for wireless audio:

Sondigo Sirocco

Linksys Wireless-G Music Bridge

Your choice, it is a viable option right now compared to what you are trying for. Also I fail to see the difference as you will need more devices with the other approach. But, good luck.
    CWNA, CWSP, K0PBX

? i am trying to explain the issue as basic as possible..

the point is complete wireless on the souce(host/laptop) end.. (i.e absolutely nothing externally attached to the laptop)

thus it is inherently less complex.. i will ONLY need 1 hardware device reciever (the one connected to the target(remote) display.)

with the avocent i would need TWO hardware devices.. one at the source (transmitter) and one at the target display (receiver)..

so that's FEWER devices for the approach i am looking for..

the wireless audio devices i linked to are also SINGLE devices as well.. no need for any proprietary transmitter, they simply use the integrated WiFi available in all new laptops to transmit..

It seems to me that the one solution needs no proprietary software on the host laptop to broadcast the signal as it is using the existing 802. network. The other solution, while seemingly less complex, does require software to be loaded onto the host in order for it to transmit the proper signal to the receiver. Also, one transmits all the outputs, ie; sound, video and control inputs, while the other simply broadcasts the a/v signal from the source and only to the one receiver which seems exactly what you would like to do in this case but from what I can tell, you're more interested in utilizing the existing wifi card on the host machine to broadcast the a/v signal then you are in simply sending the feed to a single projector. The answer is, as of today, you cant do it over an 802 network from a laptop through a wireless router.

If what your talking about doing is popping in a DVD and pushing it out to a bunch of other computers on the network, you cant even do that over the average wired network.

i'm most interested in having absolutely nothing physically connected to my laptop.

as of now, i can walk around my house wire-free and play AUDIO through my various audio systems because i have multiple sirocco's as i linked in my previous post, utilizing the C-Media Wi-Sonic network audio driver.

i want to be able to walk into my home theater room at home or into my conference room at work, fire up a program on my laptop, and be able to switch my laptop's display to the projector.. and play full motion video. (exactly as i would be able to if i were to physically connect my laptop's VGA output to the projector)

currently at work I have a 802.11g wireless-capable Sony VPL-CX86 projector that comes with sony's proprietary 'air shot' software which allows the video (& audio) signal to be sent wirelessly to the projector using the laptop's built in 802.11, but ony supports very slow screen refresh, acceptable for presentations, but nowhere near adequate for video.

so obviously, what i am looking for can be done.. however it has only been developed in limited capacity in business projectors..

i'm looking for a standalone unit with an output that can hook into any video display, and that supports full motion video (or rather identical specs as if physically connected) at industry standard refresh rates (i.e 60 hz at 1024x768). such that i can use my existing projectors without having to invest another $3000 per projector with integrated wifi capability. i've already contacted c-media about a video solution since they so beautifully mastered the wireless audio issue..

and yes, i understand that available wireless bandwidth today (54MBps 802.11g and ~300MBps 802.11n) is nowhere near the 500MBps - 1.6GBps over vga/dvi.. but...

Looking at this from a codec perspective... you can receive high res tv from just about any web page now-a-days, so your right... why couldn't you compress and decompress your a/v signal from your laptop over a wifi cared. Hell... I'm watching Hero's on my laptop over my cellular card as I type this on my pc, so for the sake of discussion, there has to be a way.