Some our users currently use Cisco Aironet Wireless card with the Toshiba M200 handheld. The M200 comes with its internal wireless card as well that the users use while in the office and the Cisco Aironet is used while at a remote location (trading floor). Both wireless adapter cards are set for DHCP.
While in the office, the users never get disconnected but they do get disconnected RANDOMLY on the trading floor. Note we don't control the infrastructure there.
Prior to disconnecting, the following event is recorded in the event viewer (system):
Your computer was not assigned an address from the network (by the DHCP Server) for the Network Card with network address 0040-96AA-6C31
. The following error occured:
The semaphore timeout period has expired. . Your computer will continue to try and obtain an address on its own from the network address (DHCP) server.
Your computer has automatically configured the IP address for the Network Card with network address 08004642D555. The IP address being used is 169.254.88.157.
According to the folks there, it would have been easier to use Cisco wireless adapters. Each adapters is assigned an SSID. The onboad wireless card is assigned the office SSID and the Cisco uses the SSID assigned by the folks there.
But, how do the users switch from one card to the other on the handheld? I ask this as it sounds like the device is still searching for the office link rather than trying the new one. And then not being able to associate correctly will give you that DHCP error as well as the 169.XX IP addr.
No, the device do connect once it gets on the trading floor and it does connect once back to the office.
The problem is that at times, the device will just disconnect during trading hours. And prior to the disconnect, I see that error message in the event viewer.
Plus the event viewer points to the Cisco MAC address wireless adapter.
That is somewhat strange as they must have very short DHCP leases.
You are saying the device associates, authenticates and then initially gets DHCP information from the server. Then works correctly. Then the device must lose the link and in having to try and re-associate fails to get a new lease.
Yes...I don't know if it has to do with the signal or their DHCP server. I made a request to have our devices assign a static IP addresses instead. I am awaiting to see if it is approved. At least this will the DHCP out of the equation.
The only way they will even know is if they try to correlate the DHCP log with the wireless association log. And if you are just doing this to determine if the issue is with the DHCP server or your devices, it is just a temporary situation. As using DHCP would be simpler in the long run, some of the other critical information published by DHCP may change and that would tend to give you different issues.