Need help with hook up...look at this diagram pls!

Thread: Need help with hook up...look at this diagram pls!

Need help with hook up...look at this diagram pls!

Okay...so its not a diagram but you will get the idea.

Cable-->cable modem-->Siemens SpeedStream 2602 2-port DSL/CABLE router-->1st port to desktop macintosh-->2nd port from the 2602 router to either Netgear MR814 wireless router OR a Siemens 2624 wireless router.

The reason for this "double router" system is as follows: cable man hooked up my cable modem in my downstairs office. I bought the 2 port router thinking that I would have my desktop and my wifes labtop in the basement. I then decided to run CAT 5 cable to the main floor to add a wireless connection for better reception to the bedroom on the second floor.

I can't move the modem so that is why I still want to use the 2 port router to get a CAT 5 cable to the main floor and hook the wireless router there....

Any thoughts/suggestions....also, an xbox will be connected to one of the wireless router ports....

PLS help! Short Question: Can I run 2 routers in series?

Yes that is exactly how you would hook it up. The wireless router is not a "router" per say. It actually operates as a bridge, so you would not actually be connecting two routers directly together.
    Wireless Geek

somthing important here is that the wireless device you buy doesent need to be a wireless router,
    just get an access point and your other router will do just nicely
    if you do the dual router thing you may have problems with ip addresses, IE both routers using 192.168.0.x ip addresses may cause issues

Thats what I was worried about

Any way around this problem?

I looked into Access points but they were more $$ than the netgear MR814 for 60 bucks....

well any access point would work,
    but if you can get a wireless router for 60 bux I would get it, if it has normal ports on it also you can probally just hook it up with a cross over cable and kinda bypass the router part of it