Continuous ping command ?

Thread: Continuous ping command ?

Continuous ping command ?

Is there a command that will put out continuous pings, so I won't have to keep typing the ping command myself manually?

Thanks

pick a card, any card
    http://www.handyarchive.com/free/batch-ping/
    is this the kind of thing you're looking for?

Hi Dan:

Thank you.

I will be looking into them. I need to monitor a continuous ping on my laptop.

I need to ping an AP for a site survey.

I bought a new AP and it isn't compatible with my old Orinoco Gold Classic card, where I use to use the Orinoco site survey software.

Now all I can do is manually ping the AP and see its signal strength. The chip set in the AP isn't compatible with my Orinoco card. So maybe one of these programs will at least do a continuous ping for me to test connectivity.

Thanks

Bob,

Try netstumbler its free and works ok for signal strength, SNR, AP discovery, .......

ping 0.0.0.0 -t

Bob,

Sorry I mis read. Use angry ipscanner. Download.com has it. It pings any range of ips you enter.

WiO

Hello Flawireless:

Will it ping anything that way? I thought it would have to specify the exact IP address of the device being pinged?

I guess the -t makes it continuous?

I did ping -t "IP address". Wow. It's neat.

I'm at least able to see the received signal strength, but also I can get a "round trip" ping. I can now know that there is two way communications due to the continuous ping.

Since the Orinoco Gold card client site survey software can't work with non-compatible APs (due to AP non-compatible chip sets in the APs ), this continuous ping with the signal strength is the next best thing.

I don't know what all chip sets are compatible with the Orinoco client manager software, except I believe all the Prism chip sets are compatible. Anyone know for sure? Is Intersil the only chip manufacturer that makes the Prism chip sets. Maybe Prism is a trademark name by Intersil...not sure.

I wonder why AP manufacturers choose to make APs with other chip sets? Maybe they got a super cheap deal from the chip manufacturers. But when they do I can't use my Orinoco Client Manager site survey software. And I'm not going to spend more then $3000 to get a program that will let me do site surveys with any AP. Most of us don't install enough WiFi installations to pay for software that expensive.

The Orinoco Client Manager software may work with other chip sets...I don't know what they are though. Except I know it won't work with the new Valuepoint SuperAP 500 g I bought recently.

Off hand I only know of several APs that will work with the Orinoco Client Mgr software. I found it to work with a few access points: Linksys, Senao, Engenius. And of course, I guess it works with the Proxim products, since Proxim sells the Orinoco product. Other then that I don't what other APs it will work with.

I haven't done the 0.0.0.0 yet. I'm not sure what that will do. What should I expect?

Thanks

I just put in 0.0.0.0 because I didn't know the address you wanted to ping. You were correct in putting in the address.

Hi FlaWireless:

That shows how "network challanged" I am...lol.

Fortunately I'm backed up by out network team. They usually work on enterprise networking solutions all day. I'm just the one guy trying to build up the public wireless part.

The hard part of this is the marketing. In the h otel situation I see tht people get WiFi inmstall jobs of because who they know and not necessarily what they know about WiFI. I've seen that around my location.

The hard part for me isn't putting in a good WiFi installation, but its finding people to give proposals to. Although I'm always trying to learn more about putting in good WiFi.

I feel pretty good about the site surveys, but I'm always learning more from people such as yourself.

I have been in wireless and rf work for about 40 years. Worked up to 18 Gig. I love the antenna work. I love the challange of trying to get the rf to cover difficult hotels.

I'm going to try a new type antenna. It's "multi-polarized"...as opposed to vertical, horizontal, circular, or smart. Supposed to outdo all the others. So I'm interested. Helps a lot in difficult situations it says.

Well I have to get to church for now. Have a nice weekend.

type in -l 1500 after the -t and you can change the size of the continuous ping to 1500

Goes up to 65500 but the times are slower

its not great but its better than a stick in the eye.

You can also use the -n (number) to ping a specific amount of times as well. IE: ping 4.2.2.2 -n 500

Really neat info.

Thank you all.

I've been "network challanged" for too long...lol.