802.1x in WinXP SP1 without WEP.need help

Thread: 802.1x in WinXP SP1 without WEP.need help

802.1x in WinXP SP1 without WEP.need help

I have setup the access point for a 802.1x authentication. However, to log on to it i need my Wireless network setting in widows to enable the 802.1x. In windows XP SERVICE PACK 1 it says the following on the Authentication tab under the Wireless network properties : "IEEE 802.1x authentication can not operate on peer to peer (ad hoc) networks or on networks for which data encryption is disabled". This only comes out if i disabled the WEP. If i enable the WEP, then i can enable the 802.1x. But i don not want to use WEP. with windows XP service pack 1 there are some problems. It did pops up the dialog asking for user name and password. But after that, it just stops and says that it is attempting to authenticate. But it does not connect me. The setting in the Access Point has proved correct as i am able to log into it using the Odyssey Demo. Please help. Thanks.

Welcome to the forum. What are your problems with WEP and XPsp1? That issue might be what is causing the problem you are discussing. Also what encryption are you using if you are not using WEP?
    CWNA, CWSP, K0PBX

I do not wanna use WEP. I just use the IEEE802.1x (which i think it's EAP). But the checkbox for enabling the IEEE 802.1x does not appear in windows XP SP1 if i didn't enable the WEP encrytpion. ANy way around that?

Thanks.

I do not wanna use WEP. I just use the IEEE802.1x (which i think it's EAP). But the checkbox for enabling the IEEE 802.1x does not appear in windows XP SP1 if i didn't enable the WEP encrytpion. ANy way around that?

Thanks.

Typically WEP and 802.1x compliment each other. The 802.1x portion is just the ability to authenticate through a authentication server. Do you have all that in place?

http://www.wi-fiplanet.com/tutorials...le.php/1041171
    CWNA, CWSP, K0PBX

Yes. I have all of those set up. In fact i can connect to the AP but not using Windows XP provided service. I use Odyssey Client Manager and able to connect using EAP-MD5 challenge protocol. The thing is, the Odyssey is just a demo version - only 30days - i have to pay for the full version. So, i want to use WinXP provided service. I am using WinXP SP1 and the option for enabling IEEE 802.1x does not appear if i do not enable the WEP. This is not the case for the Odyssey. I used Odyssey and i don't need any WEP enabled. So, please help if you know a way around this WinXP SP1 - that is to enable the 802.1x without WEP enabled.

Thank you.

Have you installed the WPA update for WinXP?
    CWNA, CWSP, K0PBX

Yes i have but still can't connect. WHen i connect to the AP, there is a popup dialog asking for username, password and domain.
    I entered my username and password and left the domain blank (not sure what to put in here). Then, it will say ( the status in network connection) - Attempting to Aunthenticate - and it will still be like this for about 20 mins. Still can't connect. Any suggestions?

Thanks

I am not 100% sure but for this to work with the Windows client you are going to need a domain controller or there will not be any authentication.
    CWNA, CWSP, K0PBX

HI. What is domain controler? But i use another software (ODyssey Client Manager) and it works fine. I just found out that for the Aunthentication to work with my AP model, i need EAP-MD5 Challenge Authentication Protocol. Windows XP only support MS-CHAP v2 protocol. Do you know how i can get the MD5 protocol installed in winXP?

Thanks