wifi from house to metal barn

Thread: wifi from house to metal barn

wifi from house to metal barn

I have good Wifi coverage in my house and outside. My metal garage is 30 feet away from the house and has no windows on the house side. I can build a simple antenna with my old satellite dish and probably use my old lynksys wrt54g wileless router inside the barn. What I need is a way to connect the ethernet input on the router to the antenna that I am building. What kind of antenna could I adapt to my dish that would connect directly to the router.

To use the wrt54g as a Client device you first need to flash it with tomato or ddwrt firmware. This lets you the end user enable it to run in several modes one of witch you need is station or client mode.

Next you need to look up Cantenna, or Biquad , biquad dish and research the construction methods and design. A biquad reflecting on a 18" dish is a very good antenna.
    Then you need a length of low loss coax N male connector at 1 end and rp-tnc at the other ( i believe ) for the router, ( only use one antenna for this type of link.) And don't forget you need a N female chassis mount connector to build a cantenna or a biquad.

Then you have to mount this rig and stare at the ugly thing for years to come. LOL
    If possible I would run cat5 cable for 30' .

If not then for almost the same amount of coin as all the parts listed above you can buy a Nanostation loco 2 or M2 (set to 20Mhz channel width) and run only a length of cat5 cable out the wall to the loco, plug the other end into your 54g and have wired and wireless access in the barn. I would set the 54g with a not used static IP address ( same for loco but different address of coarse) on the same subnet as your current router, shut off the dhcp server on the 54g as well and you will have a bridged connection to your existing lan.
    PS the loco is about the size of a couple packs of smokes. really small but powerful device.
    Allan
    VA2CBE

Thanks, Alan87i

I discovered the Ubiquits site this morning and the loco2 seems to be right for me and is pretty simple which is what I need. I knew there was a solution out there that was simple to install, and I am very happy to not have to install or look at a dish hanging on the outside of the house or barn again.

It is a wonderful day when you find some one that is willing to share their knowledge.

Thanks again!