Best long distance wifi-n adapter for PC?

Thread: Best long distance wifi-n adapter for PC?

Unhappy Best long distance wifi-n adapter for PC?

I need a wifi adapter for a desktop pc running XP. I have this pc at an office with no internet connection, but have an Comcast account at home and so I can access a Xfinity wifi N hot spot about 0.4mi away which is 2112 feet from my office. ( yes I know i will be able to reach other wifi spots between that) I have researched the overwhelming amount of "long distant" adapters out there. I'm looked at the D-Link DWA-525 Wireless N 150 Desktop PCI Adapter but cant tell the range (in feet) of this card. I'm also not sure about having the antenna someplace a cant move it around for signal. or perhaps I should go with the D-link extreme version? It would be great to use a USB adapter but there are so many. I have read others reviews that say they ****ors and I already have both usb ports being used so I would be using a USB hub. what about this one WiFi-Link 1000mW USB Wireless Adapter w/7dBi Dipole WL-USB-RSMA30-07. ugggg my eyes and head are tired and I need someones help!

First off
    Do you have line of sight view between the two points?
    Allan
    VA2CBE

No. The first 1978 feet are straight down the street, then the street curves or turns to the left and there is another 134 ft before the point or hot spot.

Even with lots of power and HIGH gain antenna's at Both ends either 2.4 or 5.8 Ghz equipment most likely won't work. You can't shoot through buildings at great distances.

There's a chance that 900 Mhz gear would do the job but depending on the interference on that band in your area the only way to find out is to fork out the coin for a pair of Ubiquiti 900 M nano's.

A slimmer chance is if there is a large enough metal building you could bounce off from both points with 2.4 Ghz . Set it up like a pool shot , Still a gamble if it would work.
    Allan
    VA2CBE

hmmm, what about something like this?

http://www.caworldwifi.com/1-WATT-USB-WIFI-ADAPTER.html

If not then what do you think will work best if I don't worry about getting the Xfinity hotspot and just go with whatever I find during a scan. I have been able to access the internet via a small Wibee usb adapter on my laptop. but connection is touch and go.

If you want to play with usb gear try the air grid from ubiquiti.
    A station device should not use an omnidirectional antenna. Directional is preferred to increase the signal where you aim it while getting less interference from other stations/ap's not in it's path.
    @ almost 1/2 a mile indoor only devices at either end has a slim to no chance if you had a clear line of sight between both points, your in town with potentially hundreds of wireless devices along the path. Each one adding interference to your link.
    Allan
    VA2CBE

RE: best wifi adapter

I have tried many many wifi adapters.....and I can say one thing for sure...
    ..I don't know about you guys, but for me UAWIFI UA3 usb adapter is the BEST.
    No other adapter can compare to this baby, it is VERY powerful.
    There are few people sell them on ebay, but I got mine directly from mft. website www.uawifi.com price is same.
    I also know that it is Made in USA, so at least by buying it I am supporting US workers.

For me the Best USB adapter is Alfa AWUS036H
    Very strong, working well for more than a year. No complaints.

For a long distance wifi connection you have to make sure, that adapter works with the latest 802.11n network. There are a lot of powerful adapters out there rignt now, but I would recommend to check out Alfa or Rosewill USB Adapters.

Quote Originally Posted by uafon View Post
    UAWIFI UA3 usb adapter is the BEST.
    The idea that you can get a reliable signal from 3000ft away (see specs) without an external dish antenna seems ridiculous to me, I wouldn't buy one of these just because they seem to be lying in the product description. They say it has an integrated antenna (as in just one) but also say it uses MIMO (Multiple Input Multiple Output). Even if it really has multiple internal antennas 3000ft is ridiculous.