Wireless Repeater troubleshooting

Thread: Wireless Repeater troubleshooting

Wireless Repeater troubleshooting

Hi there,
    Im a novice with wifi and cant understand much of the jargon but have been learning a lot thru this website. I have recently successfully managed to setup a wireless repeater in my house but am faced with a few(elementary im sure) problems. Hope some of you can help me out!

1) My setup is as follows: PC connected to router(192.168.11.1) and in turn connected to modem(192.168.1.1). Repeater on 1st floor(10.0.0.1); Thanks to the amazing guidelines from wifi guru, the internet is getting connected thru the repeater.
    2) Now my problem is this: The PC(running XP) is unable to procure an IP thru the source router(even tho my laptop ,running vista ,when cable connected to the router is able to). In fact the PC's notification icon repeatedly resets itself for 5-10 mins and finally gives a message of 'unable to get IP address for the following connection' and gets a yellow question mark on the connection.
    3) The PC when connected direct to the modem works fine.

Now what i wanted to know was how do i manually give assignments to the PC TCPIP settings to make it work(when i give it random settings as : IP> 192.168.11.10 subnet>255.255.255.0 Gateway>192.168.11.1 it doesnt even ping the router).
    i think the prob is becoz of DHCP enabled on both router and modem(?!)
    My understanding is only way out is to manually assign IP to PC but could you please tell me how to do so? especially since DHCP is enabled on router
    Thanks a ton in advance!

I think I see the problem but a few questions...

Why do you need a repeater?

Who makes the Router and Repeater?

Greg

Well greg:
    1)I need a repeater to extend the signal to the upstairs which is happening just fine now. Only the PC connected to the host router is unable to connect.
    2)Both are Buffallos the host being WCRG54 and repeater being WHRG125(which has been flashed wit DDWRT) .

The Lan card on the PC is a realtek RTL8139D. The surprising part is that i used to connect the WHR-G125 to the PC earlier and the internet worked fine but its giving problems with the newer WCR-G54.
    The exact situation is that the internet connects and then within a second disconnects, this process repeats itself dozens of times during which the lan icon on the taskbar reverts to 10.0 mbps from the usual 100 and finally diosplays the error.
    It might be that the realtek drivers are not compatible with the new router but on downloading the latest from realtek for 8139D windows rejects them sayig the existing ones are better.
    Any suggestions?
    Thanks again.

It sounds like you might have a bad network card in the PC connected to the router or maybe a bad port.

Greg

Then how is the internet working with a direct connection to modem and when connected thru the other router?

Someone plz help!

Ok after 4 months since this problem has started for me.. im proud to say it has been SOLVED! Thought ill share the solution with you all:

Turned out the problem lay all along in the configuration of the LAN card.
    Inside the network connection properties you can access the LAN card settings by clicking "configure". There under the "advanced" tab is a drop down menu to change various settings.
    The setting from "Link speed and Duplex mode" when changed to either "10M full mode" or "10M half mode" makes the connection work.
    I dunno whats the reason maybe some techie can help out by who cares.. IT WORKS!

Cheers!